Luck is in the air for those procrastinators who wait till the last minute to file their taxes. This year “tax day” is not April 15th, but April 17th. For many this is one of the biggest days of the year they dread. However, it is a fact of life, so let’s make the best of it.
One big recommendation with helping to make “tax day” a smoother day, is to create a folder at home where you can put receipts and other paperwork in. Being able to gather these documents from one place, will save a lot of time. If you are in a hurry, make sure and take a look at these items that you don’t mess up on when filing your taxes:
- Wrong or incorrect social security number
- Incorrect names that don’t match your social security card
- Filing status errors
- Math errors
- Errors in determining deductions and credits
- Incorrect banking information for you to get your refund direct deposited
- Forgot to date or even sign the return
- Not properly following process of filing electronically
- Overlooking mistakes on your W2s or other paperwork that was provided to you from the third party
Bottom line is if you have any questions about what you can and can not deduct or other questions about filing taxes, make sure to go to a tax preparer so you can not only file correctly, but you can potentially get the most money back. Who wants Uncle Sam to keep their money when it is owed to them???
UPDATE: Tax day is today April 18th, not yesterday April 17th. The odd thing is some places had stated it was yesterday but some showing today. Today is the day!!